Grace Community Covenant Church is part of the Evangelical Covenant Church (ECC) — a group of more than 850 churches in the United States, plus churches in Canada and 38 other countries, including the Congo, India, Sudan, and Thailand.
Founded by Swedish immigrants to the United States in 1885, the ECC is a voluntary covenant of churches committed to the affirmation of historical Christianity. The ECC emphasizes the Bible's witness to new life in Jesus Christ expressed in a day to day walk with the Lord.
The Evangelical Covenant Church is:
- Evangelical, but not exclusive;
- Biblical, but not doctrinaire;
- Traditional, but not rigid;
- Congregational, but not independent.
The Evangelical Covenant Church accepts the Holy Scriptures, the Old and New Testament, as the Word of God and the only perfect rule for faith, doctrine, and conduct. In addition, the ECC affirms the following:
- We are an apostolic church.
- We are part of the universal, historic Christian church.
- We are a Reformation church.
- We are an evangelical church.
- We affirm the centrality of the Word of God.
- We affirm the necessity of the new birth.
- We affirm the reality of freedom in Christ.
- We affirm the Church as a fellowship of believers.
- We affirm a commitment to the whole mission of the Church.
- We affirm a conscious dependence on the Holy Spirit.