Today's sermon notes and previous sermons
Through Wise Words
By Pastor David Hillis, 02.24.19
1 A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare. 2 The tongue of the wise makes knowledge appealing, but the mouth of a fool belches out foolishness. 3 The Lord is watching everywhere, keeping his eye on both the evil and the good. 4 Gentle words are a tree of life; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit.
28 The heart of the godly thinks carefully before speaking the mouth of the wicked overflows with evil words. 29 The Lord is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayers of the righteous. 30 A cheerful look brings joy to the heart; good news makes for good health. 31 If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise.
Accepting wise words from others.
Sharing wise words with people in a way that is loving and well received.
Is there anyone in your life that God wants you to love through loving words of wisdom and truth? Pray and ask God to show you how to approach the situation gently, constructively and persuasively?
FOR MY PERSONAL TIME WITH GOD THIS WEEK:
1. This week, Pastor Dave looked at Proverbs to show us how we can love others like God loves us through the power of wise words. As you read this book this week, consider how God has loved you and even used others in your life to love you through carefully shared words of wisdom in the past.
2. Spend some time this week considering how God might want to use you to love people though their own struggles. Have there been opportunities you have missed lately to love others, because you didn’t take the time or weren’t courageous enough to share with them in this way? What situations in your life right now could benefit from an expression of love like this? How will you do so?
3. Is there anyone in your life right now who you believe could share wise words with you about some aspect(s) of your life? Might you consider approaching them to ask them to meet and speak into your life?
4. This week, we will be reading Proverbs 1-22 together.
5. As you follow the reading schedule in this series Love Expressed, consider each day these two questions:
(1) How do I see God’s desire to express love to me?
(2) How do I see God’s desire to express love through me?
6. As you go about each day, consider praying regularly this simple prayer: “Holy Spirit, help me be more aware than ever today how your love is being expressed around me, to me and through me.”
Use this area to take notes.